We often have some questions in our mind like - Why should we practice gratitude? What does gratitude mean?
Does practicing gratitude make any difference in our life, and if yes then HOW?
Do you ever get these questions in your mind? If YES! Then keep reading this article till the end.
Gratitude is a warm feeling of thankfulness towards the globe, or towards specific individuals. The one that feels gratitude is thankful for what they have and not in the constant search for more. It is strongly associated with greater happiness and joy. It helps us to feel more positive both emotionally and mentally, improves our health, helps us to build strong relationships, and much more.
Let us take a small example of practicing gratitude - If I want to express my gratitude, I will say that I am grateful for my health, my parents smile, to meet my friends, for this day, and everything around me. This was just a small example, now before deep-diving into how we can practice gratitude, let us first try to understand the importance of gratitude -
• Gratitude improves our physical health.
• Gratitude reduces aggression and enhances empathy
• Gratitude also improves our self-esteem
• Gratitude makes our mental health strong
• Gratitude helps us to make a good relationship with our loved ones
Now let us look at some ways of practicing gratitude -
• Appreciate Everything: Don't be CHOOSY - We should not only be grateful for the big things that happen in our life, instead, appreciate every small thing. Gratitude should not only be saved for huge things, instead it should be given freely for the simplest thing like “I am thankful for this glass of water”. One should never be choosy while practicing gratitude.
• Try to find Gratitude in your Challenges - We often think that gratitude is all about “Thankfulness”, “Positive Affirmations”. Yes, it is! But beyond that, if we try to think about the challenges that we have faced or some difficult situations in our life, this can help us nail down our sources for gratitude. When we do this, it will make us more strong and positive to face any kind of challenges in our near future. Dig a bit deeper in your own past experiences and take a look at them to figure out how they need to help shape you into the person you're today.
• Practice Mindfulness - Mindfulness is a sort of meditation during which we specialize in being intensely conscious of what we are sensing and feeling within the moment, without interpretation or judgment. We just have to sit down for 10-15 minutes every day and just think about any 10 things that we are grateful for. The trick behind this activity is that we have to create a picture in our mind while thinking about the things we are grateful for.
• Express Yourself - We often think that expressing gratitude is to be done alone. But that's not the case at all! We should express our gratitude to the people around us, people whom we love, our family, friends. This will help us to make our bond and relationship with our close ones stronger.
“Gratitude is a powerful catalyst for happiness. It’s the spark that lights a fire of joy in your soul.”
– Amy Collette