Secrets of Body Language


handshake_1  H

Communication is done with the help of 2 methods: verbal and non-verbal.

Verbal consists of words and voices which count only 7% of the total communication. The rest 93% is body language, gestures, emotions, actions etc.

If we keep the words aside, there is a lot you convey through your body language. The way you stand, your hand movements and body posture states if you are confident or not. When you walk, the position of your shoulders states the level of confidence you have. If you are walking with broad shoulders then you are confident. If you walk with shoulders bent then it sends the message that you feel inferior to someone or are frightened.

handshake_1  H


When you are speaking in front of an audience, mostly your body above your waist is visible. People observe you keenly while you are delivering a speech. The movement of your head is important as it states which part of the audience you are referring to for that particular statement or sentence. The way you move your hands tells if you are firm on your statements or not. Often Yes, No are the important answers often given by the movement of the head. Shaking of head is given importance while studying body language.

Your selection in a particular company often depends upon the way you sit and move your hands during the interview. Apart from the content you are speaking, your body language is judged. Your confidence is seen through your body language. If your hands are folded, then it tells that you have a composed personality. If your hands are open while speaking that tells that you have an accepting nature.

The movement of legs also conveys your state of mind. The people who are less confident or are nervous shake their legs continuously, they cannot sit still. The way you sit also matters. When you are sitting comfortably on a chair, it denotes that you are interested in the discussion or the conversation going on. If you are sitting on the edge of the seat, it means you are least interested or want to run away from the situation.

When you are standing and talking to someone, the way you stand tells how much involvement you have in that process. If you are facing someone while talking it means you are directly involved. If more than two people are having a discussion and any two of you are standing close, it means that you are trying to exclude the third person from the discussion.

handshake_1  H

When you are thankful to someone you tend to bow down your head. You try to reduce your body posture when you are sad or guilty of something. But when you are proud, confident or feel superior to someone, you stretch your shoulders and excel in the body posture.

While walking when you let someone go through the door first, it is not just generosity but you are being the powerful hand by showing him the way. While doing that, if you pat someone’s back, it shows that you are supporting him and you have a position higher than him/her.

When you are talking to someone elderly or someone you admire and respect, your hands go at the back which indicates respect. You stand still giving equal weight on both the legs. When you tend to be ignorant or lazy you give more weight on one leg standing in a bent position.

handshake_1  H

Shaking of hands conveys a lot of things. You can clearly notice the shake of hands between politicians. The shake of hand by the USA President is far more different than that of the Russian President. The one who has his hand on the side of the camera is said to be superior. Many times politicians position themselves so as to gain the upper hand.

Facial expressions are also a major part of body language. The way your eyes, forehead, lips move are the clear indications of your reaction to something. Your reaction is different when you are happy and astonished. Eyes are the most important part of the face and each and every emotion can be conveyed through eyes. It is correctly said; 'Eyes never lie.'

Finally, if you correctly study the secrets of body language it is not at all difficult to understand what the next person is thinking even if you don’t utter a single word. The body language and the gestures convey everything.

- Atharva Agashe