Have you ever thought that many of the problems in your life are not because of your actions or your reactions, but the people you have around you? Many times we have a group of people who knowingly or unknowingly harm our mental wellbeing, these type of people are called “Toxic” people. We have such relationships where no matter how best we try to make things better, these Toxic relationships completely drains out our creative energy. So the question is, how to deal with it? What to do?
1. You don’t need to give any explanation to them: You know that you are doing your best. You know that you haven’t done anything wrong and you know that you can’t explain every time to them for their hurt, That is eventually not your responsibility. So stop explaining yourself every time. Accept the fact that they are toxic, and they will behave in a certain way, so cut down your contact with them initially and stop explaining yourself every now and then.
In this video, they have explained it beautifully how you can deal with such people.
2. Set limits: Setting limits helps you to protect your mental health. They might be your good friends, but constant blames, jealousy and negative talks can surely destroy your mental peace and your whole mental wellbeing. So setting limits is the best option for you. Because anyway if you are constantly in touch with such people you will lose your cool, it is not good for your health. Set the limits, stay away from such people as much as you can. It is for your own good. For your own mental peace.
3. Do not feel guilty: Never feel guilty about your decisions. Even if you decide to remove these toxic people from your life, Do not worry about your decision and do not feel guilty. They will give you guilt for leaving or asking them to leave. It might be through messages or calls or maybe even visiting your home and letting you know what an awful person you are for leaving. I would suggest you block the person altogether and if you meet them, tell them to leave you alone and that whatever their trying to do isn’t working.
4. Get a perspective: Have a perspective in your life. Try to find positive people in your life. Surround yourself with happy beings, who will motivate you, uplift you and encourage you to do better. When you know that you can feel great around people who support you, you might realize that you don’t need the toxic ones who bring you down and don’t care about your wellbeing, happiness or you. Be with people who are happy to be with you.
5. Be emotionally self-sufficient: When you surround yourself with toxic people, you tend to get emotionally exhausted too. In that case, just try to self soothe you. Do not over pressurise yourself, Do not overreact on yourself. Be emotionally independent and self-sufficient else you will also start falling under the category of Toxic people, and I am sure that you don’t want to be there. So be emotionally independent and self soothes yourself. This is the only key.
6. Don’t take it personally: Emotionally intelligent people know that the actions of others have nothing to do with them, personally. Most of the time, if someone acts in a certain way towards you, it’s because they are projecting themselves, or more specifically, their issues. Toxic people will try to push your buttons and get a reaction out of you, which is why it is so important to keep your emotions at bay. When they realise they are wasting their time, they will eventually give up. After all, it’s no fun to play a game you can’t win.
You just have to look for the signs, to know and understand toxic people. Once you know about them, just try these things, you will get a lot of relief when it comes to negativity and mental tension. Settle your score once for all. If you constantly think about toxic people, you will never grow. But if you work on yourself, work on your responses, and work on the things that bother your the most, you will be mentally free from all the chaos.
Always remember, “Don’t let negative and toxic people rent the space in your head, raise the rent and kick them out.”
So are you ready to deal with the toxic people in your life now?