What is the one thing we cannot live without? There can be any number of answers. So, let me rephrase, what is the one thing, if not available causes the most panic? Now the answers can be narrowed down right? Most people will agree that it is the internet! We can survive without food, water and shelter; but take away the internet from our devices and the recovering addict can look like a person in better shape! Such is the power of the internet that many of us do not even realise that we have become addicts of our “smart” little devices.
Criticism apart, it is International Internet Day today. In the year 1969, on 29 October, the first-ever electronic message was transferred from one computer to another in California, United States. Now, the internet has become the inseparable part of our lives but I bet there are many things you probably do not know about the internet. Have a look -
- The internet is exactly 11553 days old today.
- How do you imagine the internet may have been invented? In a laboratory, surrounded by prodigy scientists? Nope. It internet was invented in a beer garden over a drink!
- The first registered domain is - symbolics.com
- The first website ever created was info.cern.ch. What’s interesting is this basic HTML website is still online.
- The mobile brand Nokia has almost forgotten today but the model Nokia 9000 Communicator was the first phone to have internet.
- ‘Internet of Things’ is not a new slang but do you know what is considered as a first object of ‘Internet of Things’? An ATM machine.
- The wireless connection was founded in 1990.
- The term WiFi does not stand for anything it was a term coined by marketing company by making the play on words ‘Hi-Fi’.
- Wireless internet had many names like - WaveLAN, FlankSpeed, DragonFly, WECA and IEEE 802.11b Direct Sequence.
- Do you know you can actually measure the weight of the internet? Physicist Russel Seitz has a found way!
- The first email was sent in 1971 through the ARPANET system by the man named Ray Tomlinson. He sent the email to himself and also invented the @ separator.
- Do you know what was the subject of the first webcam video? A Coffee Pot, of course!
- The phrase ‘Internet Surfing’ was coined in 1992 by a librarian named Jean Armour Polly.
- The average Google search per day is 5.6 billion.
- There are almost 500 hours of data being uploaded every minute on YouTube.
- In a day around 95 million photos and videos are shared on Instagram.
- The most used social media platform in India is Facebook.
- It is said that out of all the emails sent in a day almost 60% are spam.
- Do you know internet addiction is not just a term but an actual psychological condition which needs to be treated?
- These days there are as much as eight devices connected to the internet per person.
How many internet facts did you know? Let us know in the comments section below!